Gower Street Chapel Renovation
A chapel on the corner of Green Lane and Gower Street is currently undergoing a renovation and conversion to luxury apartments. The chapel was built in 1868, but during the later half of the 20th Century it was used as a bar and a night club. The building is now being properly restored preserving most of its external historic features. Internal original features such as stain glass windows, original beams and lintels will also be preserved. The redevelopment will comprise of 8 apartments spread across 3 floors.
This is part of a package of redevelopments in the Green Lane area coordinated through the St Peter's Quarter Business Improvement District. Further down Green Lane at the junction with St Peter's Church Yard another historic landmark building, Green Lane House is now being converted into retail premises after a successful Heritage Lottery Fund bid. These developments create a healthy local environment for a restored Derby Hippodrome to survive as successful business and high profile entertainment venue.